Monday, November 5, 2012

Becca's fool-proof pot roast w/gravy

So I finally finessed myself into potroast history the other day, according to the husband. First, get a well cut chuck roast of whatever size you want. I did the exact same process to two different roasts from two different stores and one came out like butter and the other came out tough and stringy. Brown thoroughly on each side. Add about 2 cups (I'm guessing) of beef stock to the pot. Enough so that it comes roughly halfway up the side of the roast. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cover. Simmer on first side for an hour to an hour and a half, depending on size of roast. Flip. Simmer on other side for an hour to an hour and a half. Remove to plate while making gravy.

Bring stock to boil in pot. Meanwhile, melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a small bowl. Add two tablespoons all purpose flour to the butter and mix thoroughly. Take a few large spoonfuls of the stock and add to small bowl of butter and flour mix, mixing into a slurry. Grab your whisk and get ready. Slowly pour slurry into boiling stock while whisking briskly. Gravy should thicken nicely and have no lumps. If you didn't whisk quite fast enough or poured too quickly, and fine you have lumps, the gravy is thin enough to pass through a mesh strainer while leaving the lumps behind.

Enjoy! Let me know if you try this at all.

1 comment:

  1. Becca I do mine in a crock pot but I try to use all natural ingredients.IMy roast comes out tender if I use two cloves of garlic.Comes out everytime.

    ReplyDelete